Confucius once said, "the way you eat your meat, shows the way you live" or something similar. I realized I had been saying the same thing for years now, but few listen and few appreciate food for what it is. India is a country of many foodies but to be honest, "liking eating" is not the same as "liking to eat good genuine food", the latter being the hallmark of a true food lover.
It is somewhat of a strange obsession of mine to spend a lot of hard earned money on the gastronomic delights which Delhi has to offer - from the Orient Expresses of the city to the Karims of the by-lanes - for there is no discrimination in food - something I have found out way too often by experience.
In the next few sentences, I would be giving my list of "my" favorite eating places in Delhi (and some outside) - in a country where every second person thinks he/she is a food critic - so do I - and if you do not agree with the list - so be it - at least I can always say this is "my list" :-)
My top food restaurants/eating places (in no particular order) are:
1. Orient Express: What a gem of a place this is! Tucked away in the Taj Palace, a hotel where I have had a very very bad meal (Masala Art), this is probably the only fine dining restaurant serving French cuisine. It is as one of the "we tell you where to eat" guides points out: The place to go to for a massive celebration, provided you are ready to burn your pockets. It probably rings true, but four visits over the last two years have convinced me that the food is top quality. No question about that. The Foie Gras is amazingly moist and tender, the Lobster is top-notch and the Chocolate Souffle is heavenly (much better than most others served at many fine dining restaurants in Delhi). The service is impeccable (not snooty) and you will often find the much celebrated chef coming out and meeting you (or was it the effect of me wearing a jacket that day?). Finally, a great place for a date - super!
2. Dum Pukht: Dum Pukht is situated a level below Bukhara, and at a two minute longer walk from the entrance of ITC than it's more celebrated cousin restaurant. I have said this before to many of my friends, and I say it again, I think the Kebabs at Dum Pukht beat the sh*t out of Bukhara (along with it's Dal, the long Naans, and it's dark dingy interiors). Dum Pukht was closed for most of last year for renovation and the new avatar is much much better in it's sparkling decor and celebrity ambience. This place makes my list only for the Kakori Kebabs served with piping hot Sheermaal. Personally, the main courses do not do a lot for me (maybe apart from the Kushk Pardah Murg) but the Kebabs are totally worth it!
3. Gunpowder: A small place which most Delhites would probably know now - the four (or three?) floor climb prepares you for what it is to follow. Genuine peninsular cuisine cooked and served without pretentions and without any airs. Most of the food at this place is really very good and the ambience (overlooking the lake and other parts of Hauz Khas Village) is very appealing. Must do.
4. Indian Accent: I must have been to this gem of a place more than a dozen odd times, and have never been disappointed by anything I have ordered (which to me is the mark of a very veyr good eating place). What they do with Indian cuisine, few do in Delhi (barring probably a Varq, which I would not rate over Indian Accent). It is probably useless to describe the menu, you need to experience it and let the surprises unravel. Do try the Foie Gras stuffed Galawati Kabab for sure!
5. Karims: Please take the pains to go through the old lanes of an older Delhi and wait for 30 minutes before finding a seat at this place. I think a lot works for Karims (apart from the hype) - the food is oily and rich - but brilliant to taste! The Raan is super and the kababs melt in your mouth. All in all, a great experience (the rickshaw ride alone is worth it!).
Will probably come back with the remaining part of the list sometime later - there are five others which come to mind immediately - My Humble House (for the Wasabi Prawns), Big Chill (for the desserts and the memories), TKs at the Hyatt (for the concept, the food, the experience), La Piazza at the Hyatt (for the great-but-sometimes-inconsistent food), Zest/Setz/Tesz (for the concept, and for one of the best Sunday lunch buffets in town).
Till then,
Khaatey raho.
No comments:
Post a Comment